November 07, 2006

The Littlest Birds Sing the Sweetest Songs

The rain has begun with a temper tantrum passion. All out. No holds barred.

I would not normally mind the cold rain or the whipping wind, I enjoy the way it knocks the leaves off their branches. But as of Halloween, I have no hair. Yes… you heard that correct. NO HAIR.

I managed to raise a little over $2000 to assist families with children fighting cancer. I auctioned off my red locks in a show of support. It was not easy… the first swipe of the razor (in public none the less) was quite shocking. Tears welled up in my eyes but there was a cheer of support and the subsequent shaving was a breeze.

What is interesting though is the reaction of people who do not know about this charity or the exercise… the reaction to a bald woman moving through our world. I knew that there is value placed in beauty, hair being part of it. (I would not have done this while still in the dating realm.) Admittedly, there are places where I can’t bring myself to remove my hat… where I hide my secret…

I walked into an Indian sweet shop the other day and the men stared at me… white girl that I am, this is not unusual. Bald girl that I am, makes me more so. I smiled and rubbed the top of my head commenting how we had the same hair cut. (The handsome man at the counter has a receding hair line and short hair.) We all laughed and I learned something valuable, people just want to be put at ease.

How do people who have no choice go through this everyday, putting everyone at ease? And this is why women who survive radiation therapy wear wigs. Sadly, I don’t know if I was someone to stare or look away. Surely, I would have smiled… surely…..

I have resisted writing day to day flotsam in here for you… but with this one I am going to keep you updated. Call it the adventures of taking it all off…

(Next update: How certain clothing MAKES you look like a butch. And here I always thought it was the woman…. )


G.

2 comments:

single gal said...

Wow - that's amazing!
Great job hun.

MB said...

Wow, is right!