April 03, 2006

Whispers....

Have you ever watched the autumn rush of spawning salmon, their fight against the current; through falls and shallow creek beds, through mountain canyons and under highway bridges? Steady they move, part memory, instinct… another part so primal it is in their very tissue. Red. Gashes of red and in this primal passion they push forward.

The current fights me. Minutes. Days. Weeks. I swim up my river, through the forest of second growth words seeking the dense cedar silence of the old growth. I am hunting for the deepest pool, the clearest and most protected. I want to bury my future in those protective roots growing on it’s banks.

I want to come home.

And Jeff and I are doing that. Building something in the evergreens. Building a future so new it is merely a pinecone waiting for a June fire to set the seeds free.

Forgive my neglect. We have been busy. Today we did something completely monumental for both of us; something that I hope is just the beginning of a wonderful, fruitful life together….

We removed the subjects on the purchase of our house. Half way. We are half way to making it ours.

And we both agree that one of the bedroom walls will be red.


G.

2 comments:

MB said...

I have indeed watched the salmon... primal passion is a good way to describe it. Amazing.

Congratulations!! (Maybe you'll post photos eventually?)

Blue said...

Thanks! Yes, photos will come eventually. I have to share this!


G.